Child support is based on a number of variables: comparison of earnings or earning capacity, time split of child, provide a standard living commensurate with total earnings of both parents together. It is for children and not the other parent.

Why You Need a Lawyer

“A lawyer can help you locate your ex, properly and legally serve your ex with notice that you want a child support order, and document any income that your ex receives.  A lawyer can also help you determine what financial information you need in order to properly calculate a child support obligation for your ex,” explains. “Calculating child support is often rather complicated, as well, and can require the use of specialized software programs.

Once a child support is established, it can be difficult for some parents to enforce it. If your ex won’t pay his or her child support, your only way to enforce the order is through your local child support office or your court system.” 

Who can get Child Support?

“A married, unmarried, or divorced parent, who has physical custody of a child, can get child support. This is a parent, who takes care of a child, called the primary caretaker or domiciliary parent. As long as a parent is the biological father of the child, you can get child support from him.

Nonparents such as grandparents may get child support from the biological parents if they have legal custody of a child,” explains.

The Ellender Law Firm’s staff will be side-by-side with you through the entire complex and intricate child support process.